* One Question *



"What do you want to do?" is one of my favourite questions I ask the people here. Because I hate seeing people not enjoying what they are doing.

Most of them think that I am referring to work. They think that I am asking in which specialty are they planning to master in.

But, in all honesty, no. That is not what I meant to ask...AT ALL.

When I ask that question, I am actually really asking them "what is your dream?". What did you want to do before all this medical doctor stuff happened.

What is your dream?

Let me tell you some of mine;
I want to write a book.
I want to bake pretty cakes.
I want to take beautiful pictures.
I want to do origami with my daughter.
I want to help her with her homework.
I want to teach her to cross-stitch.
I want to hang out in a cafe, drinking coffee while reading my favourite book under the shade with an amazing view laid out in front of me. < this is my favourite

What is your passion? What makes you happy?

Those are the things that I am asking about when I asked them that one question.

We doctors always forget our dreams. It is not our fault; it is just the nature of our job. We are taught to follow the guideline, to never ever try to take a detour or the road less travelled, lest we want to end up falling in a bottomless pit. We even sometimes forget that our patients are human; at times, we tend to treat them as another case in the case files book.

But you know what is the biggest joke? Only when we dare to dream are we able to achieve our success.

We are always clouded by a big cumulonimbus called "resposibilty" or at times "pseudo-responsibility" that we do not realize that our bodies and souls are that of a human.

Let's pray for each other, Doctors. Let's pray that all of our work will not get in the way of us being just humans. Let's pray that in following guidelines we will eventually find our way in our daily lives. Let's pray that when all hell breaks loose and all the textbooks burn, we will still be humans...with dreams and hope.

***

Christina Perri - Arms

Comments

Popular Posts