* So Hey *

So hey I just finished a night shift which was filled with anxious parents and rude patients. Now all I want to do is listen to my favourite songs.
One of my HOs told me, "Boss, your patience level is amazing."
Honestly, I rarely raise my voice with patients; except when they are wonderfully drunk and rude. I have an amazing level of patience with sober and rude patients. I know it is hard to believe, but it is actually true.
Why? Because facing a complaint of "that doctor was kurang ajar betul" is NOT what I have the patience for. I would rather face a patient complaining that I refused to give him/her an MC or to admit him/her because I feel like he/she does not need it. At least, those things I can justify with my clinical sense. But, being rude, is something you can never justify.
Last night, a somewhat drunk Uncle came to our green zone claiming that he knows every top person in our health ministry. He had an abrasion on his forehead after falling down (did I mention he was drunk?) He asked me to admit him because he "needed a place to rest" and he "lost his phone". I told him that those reasons do not require him to be admitted. All he needs to do is go lodge a police report. He kept insisting, saying that "Doktor macam mana saya nak balik? Duit pun takde, tengok ni."
Of course I was annoyed. He even asked me for money. I did. I gave him my money and told him to just forget about paying me back and PLEASE go home. He did. He went off.
No, I did not raise my voice. Even when my head was filled with sarcastic words and hurtful things to say.
You know what rude people love? It is more reasons to be rude. So do not give them that. Do not give them the satisfaction that their rudeness actually was fruitful.
Just keep your cool and look them straight in the eyes. Tell them with your look that you will not be defeated and brought down to their level. Show them you are much much better than that.
I hate rude people. I really do. But what I hate more is being rude. I hate the regret I feel after that.
***
^[ because you cannot just simply stop listening to Damien Rice ]^
Comments