* Of Diamonds, Datins and Us *

Mufed's mom passed away today. I went to meet her this afternoon, stayed there until evening. I met Dayah and her family, and Yam's parents, too. No, Yam was not there; she is working today.
I was sitting on the stairs with Dayah; facing the bookshelf when I saw Mufed's books that used to line her bookshelf back in Egypt...and I miss it; I miss our shabby little house. I miss the noises. I miss the bed. I miss sitting on the floor and lazing in front of the laptop.
I miss the way the sun enters our house. I miss the quite mornings and the "kecoh" nights. I miss how the house starts to stir when afternoon comes. I miss our mugs. I miss our black pots. I miss our shitty kitchen. I miss our even shittier fridge.
I miss us squeezing against each other in the kitchen. I miss that shaky small table. I miss our gossip dinner table. I miss our pink chairs. I miss our green laundry basket. I miss our carpets. I miss how Yue's door always makes that noise when you open and close it. I miss Dayah's and Mufed's airconditioned room. I miss our toilet which had a broken door (which could not be locked properly. Yes, I am serious).
I miss our movie nights. I miss "kacau" my housemates studying. I miss Yue and her pink JB long jacket. I miss Dayah and her cappuccino bubble jacket. I miss Mufed and her sporty dark purple jacket. I miss walking together, coming back from tuition, during the cold winter nights. I miss running to the hospital during the summer mornings when we are late.
I miss running into each other's rooms with the latest piece of hot gossip. I miss stalking people together in facebook. I miss Skyping each other because we were just too lazy to get out of the room. I miss our quarrels. I miss our bad habits. I miss our laziness.
I miss getting all excited to go on a trip together. I miss shopping before returning home together. I miss Terranova-, La Senza-, Mo'men-, Cook Door-, Fondy's-, Wesaya-ing together. I miss freaking out together. I miss stressing out together.
All in all, I miss us; together in Egypt, through thick and thin.
I pray that Allah gives us strength to go through all the hardships and emerge strong.

Comments