* Typical Egyptian Behaviour *

First of all, this is NOT a hate post. I do not do that. This is just a post explaining how I feel after a long week.
I do not understand why most of the Egyptian medical students here have this certain "allergy" towards English. They give reasons like "we only learned French during school" or "English is only our 3rd or 4th language" or "we cannot understand anything when the doctor speaks in English". But, the more reasons I hear, the more it makes less sense.
Here is the reality; you have been here in the faculty of medicine for more than 5 years and you managed to ace all the exams (which are all in full English). How is it possible, that when the lecturer speaks in simple English, you cannot understand it? At least, try to learn. Because, as future doctors, we are one of the most respected people in the community. Therefore, we must learn how to change our attitude towards certain situations.
Maybe they do not understand how important English is. For me, that does not make any sense at all. At all. In an era of globalisation, I am pretty sure each one of us uses the internet. The internet is about 90% in English. How can we not realise how important it is? The medical journals are in English. The language of medicine is English. The notes (which you memorize like crazy during the final exams) are in English.
Honestly, I am no longer annoyed or frustrated. I am now disappointed with the attitude of most medical students here (who are supposed to be the best students in the whole university) towards the language. It shows how narrow-minded certain people can be and how immature they are when faced with a situation that they despise.
Here I am in the spirit of brotherhood, telling you to learn. Because knowledge is power. If we choose to be stuck in the same level for years and not change our mindset and attitude, how are we going to progress? This not only goes for the Egyptian students, it is also for the Malay students (who have certain thoughts and mindsets which are unbelievable and shocking and illogical, too).
I am not saying that I am perfect. I am just saying that the refusal to learn and change for the better is an unacceptable attitude.
I rest my case.
***
Phew. I feel so much better now that I have let this all out.
***
Des'ree - You Gotta Be
Comments