* Jarash/Jerash *
(Jelajah Jordan Winter 2008)

Jarash, or Jerash, is one of the best preserved Roman City (besides Italy). Located about 48km from Amman, we went there on 27th January 2008. It was raining when we arrived, so everybody was grumbling and complaining about the weather. But, Yue (being the matured one) said, "Orang kata, sebelum salji turun, hujan turun dulu...(People say that it rains before it snows...dot dot dot)" Sure. But this is NOT the place where we found snow. Haha.

And so we entered Jarash. The first thing you will see after the Hadrian's arch is the Hippodrome. It is a place where chariot races and sports were held. We did not get to see RACE [this is a special presentation, where Arab people act as gladiators and ride on chariots...haha. I was not really interested, because the actors are not real Romans. heh.] and we did not enter the Hippodrome. We continued our journey by walking along the city walls towards the Oval Plaza.

Next was the Oval Plaza. I was mystified by the wide space it covers and all of the pillars around it [remember, this is only the 2nd day of JJ...hehe] I felt like I was in a movie set. But, actually, the feeling is not as strong as the 'movie-set' feeling I had when I entered Karnak Temple [because I watched Mummy Returns and I did not watch Kingdom of Heaven or Alexander or Troy or any similar Roman movies. Damn. I should have done my homework. Heh.] Nonetheless, the Oval Plaza has a fountain in the centre and a central column, which was recently erected to carry the Jerash Festival flame [according to the pamplet I was given by kak Put]

On and on the Colonnaded Street we walked. Or some people call it 'Cardo Maximus'. Pillars on my left and right. A cloudy sky on top of my head. A slippery trail under my feet.

Then, we reached the South Tetrapylon [whatever this is]. Thank God I took this picture with the signboard. Hehe

Next was the 'Nymphaeum'!!! According to the pamplet, it is an ornamental fountain dedicated to the Nymphs [I don't know why, either. All I know of 'nymphs' are that they are small creatures, like fairies. There are wood nymphs, water nymphs...]. Fairytale time. Haha. We had a great time posing for pictures here.

Propylaeum; stairs leading to the Temple of Artemis. We did not stop at the temple because there was not enough time and we have not reached the theatre yet.



Finally~ the South theatre!! This is the end of our journey at Jarash. While we were having fun, kak Put called out, "Korang~ jom balik bas! Dah pukul berapa ni!!" Alright. Remember, this is a colloseum designed for performances and gatherings...so you can understand how kak Put need not a microphone to call us all back. Heh. You rock, kak Put~


I've tried to upload a video I took of the band doing a performance at the South theatre but it seems like the internet connection has not fully recovered yet. Tsk tsk~ I'll try again later.
***
pictures by: na_neen & kak Put
***
next: the sea & the desert
***
By the way, you say people don't change but you have changed. So what's the point? Memories should account for something, right?
:(
(Jelajah Jordan Winter 2008)

Jarash, or Jerash, is one of the best preserved Roman City (besides Italy). Located about 48km from Amman, we went there on 27th January 2008. It was raining when we arrived, so everybody was grumbling and complaining about the weather. But, Yue (being the matured one) said, "Orang kata, sebelum salji turun, hujan turun dulu...(People say that it rains before it snows...dot dot dot)" Sure. But this is NOT the place where we found snow. Haha.

And so we entered Jarash. The first thing you will see after the Hadrian's arch is the Hippodrome. It is a place where chariot races and sports were held. We did not get to see RACE [this is a special presentation, where Arab people act as gladiators and ride on chariots...haha. I was not really interested, because the actors are not real Romans. heh.] and we did not enter the Hippodrome. We continued our journey by walking along the city walls towards the Oval Plaza.

Next was the Oval Plaza. I was mystified by the wide space it covers and all of the pillars around it [remember, this is only the 2nd day of JJ...hehe] I felt like I was in a movie set. But, actually, the feeling is not as strong as the 'movie-set' feeling I had when I entered Karnak Temple [because I watched Mummy Returns and I did not watch Kingdom of Heaven or Alexander or Troy or any similar Roman movies. Damn. I should have done my homework. Heh.] Nonetheless, the Oval Plaza has a fountain in the centre and a central column, which was recently erected to carry the Jerash Festival flame [according to the pamplet I was given by kak Put]

On and on the Colonnaded Street we walked. Or some people call it 'Cardo Maximus'. Pillars on my left and right. A cloudy sky on top of my head. A slippery trail under my feet.

Then, we reached the South Tetrapylon [whatever this is]. Thank God I took this picture with the signboard. Hehe

Next was the 'Nymphaeum'!!! According to the pamplet, it is an ornamental fountain dedicated to the Nymphs [I don't know why, either. All I know of 'nymphs' are that they are small creatures, like fairies. There are wood nymphs, water nymphs...]. Fairytale time. Haha. We had a great time posing for pictures here.

Propylaeum; stairs leading to the Temple of Artemis. We did not stop at the temple because there was not enough time and we have not reached the theatre yet.



Finally~ the South theatre!! This is the end of our journey at Jarash. While we were having fun, kak Put called out, "Korang~ jom balik bas! Dah pukul berapa ni!!" Alright. Remember, this is a colloseum designed for performances and gatherings...so you can understand how kak Put need not a microphone to call us all back. Heh. You rock, kak Put~

I've tried to upload a video I took of the band doing a performance at the South theatre but it seems like the internet connection has not fully recovered yet. Tsk tsk~ I'll try again later.
***
pictures by: na_neen & kak Put
***
next: the sea & the desert
***
By the way, you say people don't change but you have changed. So what's the point? Memories should account for something, right?
:(
Comments