ok...let me start by telling you guys how I ended up where I am right now. Actually, I was searching for a really good book to read because recently, I got stuck playing Sudoku [Imran bought a book of 365 Sudoku puzzles...I am so totally into it *^^*] Haven't done any real reading...so I end up feeling guilty and suddenly...walla~ there was this old book [Abi's] which is titled: The Story of Layla and Majnun by Nizami. It was an English translation. Something that you should know about me is that, I am a classic literary freak [even if I don't always finish reading them...] Casually, I opened it and started reading...it cured me of my Sudoku obsession 0___0;; I was enthralled by it, soaked by it, drowned in it and so immersed in it, I couldn't put it down...amazing!

It tells the tale of Layla and Qays [who was later called Majnun because his obsession with his love to Layla drove him 'mad'] How they were separated from each other, caught up in grief. The way they grief for their love...it is a beautiful story which almost everyone can relate to.

Ok...let me get to the point. Here are the things I learnt after having just finished the story a few minutes ago:
  • love is suffering...because you never know what to expect
  • love is obsession...because you become obsessed with the person you love
  • love is belief...that true love can never be extinguished
  • love is patience...like the way Layla and Qays together wait for a fulfillment of their love
  • love does not always end happily in this world...because this world will perish and gone, but God recognizes true love, so hang on tight...
  • love is hope...that makes you keep on living
  • suffering in this world will end with bliss in the eternal world...
  • lovers must embrace distance and shun from closeness, because closeness when you are in love without a right bond leads to destruction...
  • the Book of Life has two sides...one side is where you fill it up with plans and the other side is where fate shows its skills [ni ayat buku tuh...so beautiful~]
  • rather than be a rebel...accept fate
  • love is loyalty...being in love is swearing to stick to that one person till death

all in all~ "Layla and Majnun have been characters of Sufi poets, as Krishna was for poets of India. Majnun means absorption into a thought and Layla means the night of obscurity. The story is from beginning to end a teaching on the path of devotion, the experience of the soul in search of God" - Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

Comments

Popular Posts